Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Drake Brandon Bowers


Drake was born one month early to the day. April 10, 2007. He was 5 lbs 6 oz and 16 3/4 in. His hair was light brown with a lot of curl. He looked just like Daddy. Unfortunately he was born with a rare form of congenital acute myeloid leukemia (AML). He is one of around 100 babies born with this. And there is a 1 in 5 million chance that a baby is born with this. On top of the cancer, he also had downs syndrome which we did not know until 10 days after his passing. And 2 weeks after we found out that a part of the umbilical cord was only 4mm wide when it is supposed to be 8-10mm which means he suffered from a lack of oxygen and nutrients to begin with. So it truly is a miracle that he WAS born and took the breath of life. He came and received his body for 15 hours and returned to heaven to continue his work there. We are just so happy we were able to see him and that he did not suffer. We are very blessed to be his parents!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Melissa-I'm so glad you started a blog! What a precious, and I can only imagine, painful experience. John and I are expecting our 2nd little boy in a few weeks, so I truly admire your strength and faith. We also started a blog recently. I'll get your email from my mom and send you an invite in case you want to check it out. We love you!
Sarah Murray