Thursday, October 15, 2009

Jay Jackman

This was my absolute favorite picture of Jay and his sweet son Noah.

On Monday, October 5th, my best friend Becky called me with awful news. Jay Jackman died. What? That's impossible! He was only 30 with a 2 year old son. And a good friend of my past. In fact, he was Jordan's big brother. I have known Jay since I was 13 and moved to Folsom. For awhile he was a big brother to me as I was married to Jordan. The news was devastating, mostly because it was so unexpected! And no one knows yet how he passed away. I felt I needed to be there in CA for the funeral. And after much praying Brandon and I decided I would go and left the travel arrangements up to the Lord if it were meant for me to be there and sure enough it all worked out. I flew in Sunday to Sacramento and my luggage didn't make it with me. They were in San Jose because my first flight in the morning was having technical issues and they said we could get off the plane and so I did to get a bite to eat and that hour we had ended up turning into about 15 or 20 minutes and the plane LEFT! So I had to catch the next flight, it was full and the next and the next. So in desperation I found out if there was an open flight to Sacramento and sure enough there was (otherwise I was flying to San Jose) So I jumped on that flight and got to fly first class and made it to Sacramento with no clothes. Thanks again Becky for clothing me and Jessica for washing clothes for me ;0). Becky and I went to the Jackman's Sunday night and enjoyed visiting with the family. It has been about 2 years or so since I have seen them. And Monday was the memorial. It was wonderful. Jordan and Jenna wrote a song for Jay that was breathtaking. And it was so fun to see all of the Jackman's family, including extended family. They were all so kind. I felt so blessed to be there and show my love, sympathy and support. After all, they will always be family. Tuesday and WEdnesday was busy seeing all the family, going to Drake's grave and visiting with friends, although that time is never enough. If only I could divvy me up or add more time, but I was really missing the family in Texas! I flew home Wednesday afternoon after a great breakfast with Charlotte and Elias and a fun but too short of visit with Stasia. I got home at 8ish and I even found my bag from San Jose that never made it to me! Hooray! I got it one the first flight back to Dallas once I figured out I was flying from Sacramento. That is why I do not have any pictures though, my camera was in that bag. Along with other very helpful tools that would have made the trip a lot easier--like clothes and stuff! Back here at home base, my sweet sweet husband was so busy holding up the fort with help from Camille and Tim--thanks guys--we owe ya! DOing laundry, cooking, cleaning, even doing FHE on Monday! Wow, what a man! I am so grateful I got to go and so grateful for all the support from Brandon!

4 comments:

Stacy said...

I'm so glad you were able to go, I can only imagine how much it meant to the Jackmans to see you there. I really wish I could have been there. It sounds like it was a crazy adventure getting there, but completely worth while. Love you girl.

Cassie said...

That's awesome everything worked out for you to go, it was defiantly meant to be. And having a loving and supportive husband makes all the difference at times like those.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you were able to go. You needed to be there, and they needed you there. You have such a big heart. I am sure glad you're home!

Ady Hahn said...

I'm sorry for you loss Melissa. It's so hard when someone that young and close to you passes away.