Friday, March 25, 2011

"Bad Mommy Moments"


I have this philosophy I made up myself. I get one "Bad Mommy Moment" (BMM) per kid. For example, when Autumn was 18 months old I was living with my parents and she and I had our own rooms. I was in a stage of trying to get her to get herself to sleep and stay asleep all night. So when she woke up in the middle of the night crying, I ignored her. She cried for awhile. Suddenly her cry became very desperate and I realized something was wrong. I went into her room and found her covered in throw up. She had been crying that whole time because she had been throwing up. And if you know me, you know that that is one of life's scariest expereinces and I was so sad that she was doing that on her own. It was the first time she had ever thrown up. That's what started BMM. As far as I remember I have not had my one BMM with Jaxon. Doing pretty good on that one. He is 6 and free of my BMM. OH, wait, we had a BMM together. When I broke my leg. He was throwing a fit because I was sending him on time out because he was squeezing juice on the carpet. I will have to call that one a BSM-Bad Son Moment. (love you Jax). So what is this post about? Getting to the latest BMM, Brinnley. Last week she was complaining of an earache. So I gave her Tylenol and put garlic drops in her ears. The next day she was complaining again. So I repeated that process. Both times she said she felt better. A couple days ago I noticed stuff oozing out of her ear and decided it was (past) time to call the doctor. We saw Dr. Ali today. Her ear drum had ruptured, hence her not complaining about her ear for the past few days. I assumed it was because she felt better. Definitely a BMM! And she made it to almost 3. Not too bad. Autumn saw hers earlier because I was a first time mom. Sorry for the bad news Max. This is what you have to look forward to.
PS, I have DEFINITELY had other bad moments, like forgetting to reapply sunscreen on the kids and they burn, or something like that, but the ones I just wrote about are the monumental ones that I feel so bad about. Good thing I am only allowed ONE per kid. I wouldn't be able to handle the guilt. So allow yourself a Bad Mommy Moment. It will put your mind at ease. Just once.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I could tell you a couple more BMM's! Autumn's elbow?!? We all have bad moments, it's okay to have them as long as we learn the first time around and ask the kiddo for forgiveness! They still love us anyway!

Anonymous said...

I hope you get well quickly Brinnley! Love you sweet girl.

Noel said...

I had a REALLY bad BMM last week!!! I would like to blame it on my new hormone pill. I'll tell you about it later. Hope Brinnley feels better soon! I've had that happen to my "focus" ear and I about went insane. Love you guys!