Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Birth Story


We arrived at the hospital at 6 am. I was prepped and monitored for surgery. Really, it was a test of whether or not I would survive the anxiety! Barely did! I was wheeled into operation at 7:30 am where I received my spinal block and Brandon scrubbed down. As I was strapped to the bed, I was overwhelm with emotions and I could not hold them in. I was thinking of my sweet Drake. It felt like yesterday I was doing this with him. I just let the tears flow. The doctors and nurses just thought I was scared. Seeing Brandon come into the operating room a few minutes later was like an angel flying into the room. He has this amazing calming effect on me. The operation went well and Brinnley was born at 7:56 am. Again, I was overcome with emotion and hearing her cry was the most amazing sound in the world. I couldn't hold back. It was such an amazing experience having this little baby enter the world.
Brandon got to hold her right away as I was getting stitched and stapled. I was too weak and tired to hold her in recovery. Later on in the morning adter all the assessments, we found out there was a problem and Brinnley was sent off to the special care nursery. I was DEVASTATED! Scared, emotional, upset, worried, I mean every emotion! Brinnley was struggling breathing. They were going to monitor her for 3 or 4 hours to make sure she was fine. 3 hours, 4 hours, then 5 and 6 and still we had not seen her. I was so sick to my stomach! Her lungs were filled with fluid still and she was having a hard time getting rid of it. Finally that night, a nurse came in with the best news. Brinnley was going to be brought in to nurse and she was all ours! Yay! Life has been perfect since then! Brinnley has an amazing spirit about her! She is so precious and I am so in love with her! Autumn and Jaxon love her to pieces and Brandon is such an amazing help! I just feel so blessed and so inadequate to be the mother of these amazing children of mine! Brinnley was able to come home Thursday evening after her bellyruben counts were good. She was wrapped up in love with the blanket we were going to bring Drake home in. I know he has been close in spirit to celebrate this event with us!

12 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh, that must have just been overwhelming and scary! So glad everything worked out. Look at all of that dark hair! She is just beautiful. Congratulations!

T.M. said...

She is beautiful! Congradulations and enjoy holding her. I am glad to hear that the two of you are safe and sound at home!

Loren and Tama said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful! I can totally see Melissa in her face. And that hair is incredible. I love the little blonde highlights. People pay a lot of money to get their hair to look like that, and she came by it naturally! I am so pleased that everything went well. Sometimes the C-section babies take a few hours to "dry out" after being born. I am glad she is doing well and I bet her brother and sister are thrilled to have her home. Congrats again!

Tiana said...

Yeah!! Congratulations! I am so glad that things went so well. She is such a cutie! There is nothing sweeter then bringing a new baby into your life. You are blessed with so many sweet children. Now take it easy and get some rest!! :)

Carrie and Jeff said...

She is so beautiful you guys. I'm glad that she is home with you and that she is healthy. How are you feeling Mel? I thought the healing c-section was a little easier the 2nd time. Congrats. I can't wait to see more pics!

Angel said...

I am SO happy for you! I can't imaging what you were going through when you could not see her for so long! I am sorry you had to go through that, but I know that God and your loved Drake were probably both right there with you and wanting to tell you that it would be ok. I am so glad you get to raise this little girl. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Gibson Family said...

Congratulations on another beautiful baby, she is darling.

Team Fellows said...

Hi Melissa,

Congratulations. I saw your mom a few weeks ago and she told me you were close to your delivery. I have had you in my prayers ever since. I'm so HAPPY that everything went well. Brinnley is a beauty and she is lucky to have you as her mama.

Take care,
becky

Lexie Lantz said...

She is so totally adorable congratulations. she is beautiful.... you guys did good :)

gnomeswife77 said...

Congrats Melissa. I am glad you little baby is doing so good. Enjoy her.

Cecile Ewell said...

She is precious, makes me want another baby girl! They just grow up so fast, Congrats!!

ivyjeanne said...

congratulations, liss! she's gorgeous and angelic and just perfect. i'm so glad everything came together okay and that she's breathing just fine now. take care!!