Saturday, July 19, 2008

Walmart Melt Down

Today was the first day I went to the store all by myself with Brinnley. I took Autumn along to help as I knew I would need it. We were only into the produce section when Brinnley decided to start crying. I let her cry for a bit then decided to hold her. Autumn pushed the cart and she put everything in the cart I asked her to. A 6 year old (almost) does not load up a cart the way a Mommy does. I was only half way done with my list before the cart was full because everything was everywhere. But we managed to stuff everything in there. I hope the grapes and tomatoes survived.....
Well, at checkout, (Brinn is STILL crying) I am unloading the cart with one hand and still holding Brinnley. I keep changing her position to see if she would stop crying. Suddenly this woman comes up to me and asks me how old my baby was. 3 weeks. I was expecting some terms of endearment, instead, she chastised me for holding Brinnley the wrong way and not supporting her back and that I was causing permanent damage to her spine. Also that i should not be out and about with a 3 week old. I nodded my head for the first 2 miutes of the lecture but then I just zoned out. I mean, she could have offered to help unload the cart so i could hold her "properly"......
I turned my back to her as she was still babbling on and on and I finished my business. But not without dropping all our bluberries all over the floor and everything not fitting in the cart correctly!!
So I was on my way out the parking lot. And that SAME lady starts walking towards me. The nerve of this woman!!!
But this time it was to apologize. I broke down and cried. Dang it! She got teh best of me!! Or the best of my hormones and emotions I should say! She asked if we would pray with her (that's not the first time someone has pryaed with us in a parking lot) and I said sure. So she prayed for our safety, blah blah blah.....
That was my FIRST experience to the store without adult supervision! That couldn't have gone ANY worse!!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh, I am so sorry. I can't believe that she had the nerve, and I can't believe you didn't tell her to shut up and go away. I would have a hard time with that.

Carrie and Jeff said...

I'm so sorry Mel! I can't believe people. I would've broken down too. At least she apologized---I guess. I think I would've rather gone home and vented to my hubby about it. Don't let it discourage you from going out again. You can do it. You are a great mom and I'm sure you're holding her "properly". Again---you're a great mom!

Anonymous said...

what kind of crazy people live there? Who says that?! i'm sorry that happened to you. i feel i'm in the same boat with my hormones. not too fun.

Sarie said...

What a crazy lady. I've noticed that people in the south are WEIRD. They really are characters and don't feel bad about saying things right to your face.

Jim and Shana McGavock said...

Wow you are a lot nicer that me!!! I would have had a lecture to give back! I'm sorry you had to go thru that, and you're right... im pretty sure it probably couldnt have gone worse! But at least you will get some laughs from it in like 20 years. Good to see you! Glad I found you!