Autumn's school had an assembly on Friday and she was presented with a BUG award. This could mean many things. Autumn LOVES BUGS so maybe it was a salute to her for that, or maybe it was because she stopped BUGGING her friends while the teacher was talking. And when I say Bugging, I mean in a social butterfly sort of way :). But her BUG award was for neither of these things but rather Bringing Up Grades Award! The first 6 weeks she struggled and it has been so hard watching her struggle so much. She is in the gifted and talented program at school and 2nd grade has been taking some getting used to for her. But it looks like we were on the right path! I feel blessed as her mother to recieve inspiration for her and to study her so closely these last few weeks, I have really gotten to know her on a whole new level. One big AHA moment was to discover that she is what we call an audible learner. For example in spelling, if you ask her how to spell "release" she will spell it correctly if she spells it out loud. If she writes it down it would look something like this "relees." So I have spoken with her teacher and she is going to allow Autumn to spell the words to her out loud during recess for her test. Yay! ALL of her grades are up after this 6 week quarter and the one we are working on these next 6 weeks is her reading grade. She knows how to read but is required to read every day for 20 minutes and put it on her reading log. (speaking of reading, she recently told Aunt Debi that she wants NON fiction books to read...) This is the battle I have chosen not to fight and she is seeing how her lack of doing this is bringing her grade down and she is becoming a little more self motivated. Over all I am so proud of her for not giving up even though she has wanted to do several times. It takes a lot of time for her to do her work but the consequences are positive and she is feeling that. Way to go my Autumn dearest! I love you! And Santa will bring you your books about bugs, amphibians, etc!!
Sunday, November 21, 2010
BUG Award
Autumn's school had an assembly on Friday and she was presented with a BUG award. This could mean many things. Autumn LOVES BUGS so maybe it was a salute to her for that, or maybe it was because she stopped BUGGING her friends while the teacher was talking. And when I say Bugging, I mean in a social butterfly sort of way :). But her BUG award was for neither of these things but rather Bringing Up Grades Award! The first 6 weeks she struggled and it has been so hard watching her struggle so much. She is in the gifted and talented program at school and 2nd grade has been taking some getting used to for her. But it looks like we were on the right path! I feel blessed as her mother to recieve inspiration for her and to study her so closely these last few weeks, I have really gotten to know her on a whole new level. One big AHA moment was to discover that she is what we call an audible learner. For example in spelling, if you ask her how to spell "release" she will spell it correctly if she spells it out loud. If she writes it down it would look something like this "relees." So I have spoken with her teacher and she is going to allow Autumn to spell the words to her out loud during recess for her test. Yay! ALL of her grades are up after this 6 week quarter and the one we are working on these next 6 weeks is her reading grade. She knows how to read but is required to read every day for 20 minutes and put it on her reading log. (speaking of reading, she recently told Aunt Debi that she wants NON fiction books to read...) This is the battle I have chosen not to fight and she is seeing how her lack of doing this is bringing her grade down and she is becoming a little more self motivated. Over all I am so proud of her for not giving up even though she has wanted to do several times. It takes a lot of time for her to do her work but the consequences are positive and she is feeling that. Way to go my Autumn dearest! I love you! And Santa will bring you your books about bugs, amphibians, etc!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Way to go Autumn!! Sure love you!
It's such a good feeling watching them succeed! It always makes my eyes leak. Yes, motherhood has turned me into a baby.
Post a Comment